Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Diversity and the "Bottom Line", con't

I have read several current diversity books. Most promote diversity as good for business. But this claim is dubious.

One author writes: “Diversity is challenging, yes, but it is also richer, livelier, more fun, and ultimately more profitable.”

I wrote this author asking to be directed to research supporting the benefits of diversity for corporations. Her answer: “I wish I could, Jim. I never could find it when I was teaching diversity in corporations either!”

Another author wrote about diversity in business that – “Numerous studies have documented the benefits.”

I wrote asking for research. The author responded by citing the Kochan study (see post on August 29, 2007.) I responded by pointing out that the Kochan study seemed to conclude the opposite. The author responded that Kochan “wound up pretty anti-diversity, but a number of other researchers who co-wrote the paper didn't.” I have read the entire Kochan report and see no evidence for this author's point of view. I can only wonder if the author, associated with the University of California read it.

I wrote other authors who had offered similar points of view about the positive effects of diversity but got no response.

Some of these books are prefaced by Roosevelt Thomas, dedicated to Oprah Winfrey and sometimes published by the American Management Association. Yet they leave one unconvinced that modern diversity programs are particularly good for businesses.

My conclusion is not "anti-diversity." It is that the claims that diversity programs are good for business are glib and unproven.

No comments: